Igbos and the Election



I had started this post roughly 50 days from the election which is now tomorrow and then I stopped about halfway through because I was busy, distracted, angry and a whole lot of other things, I also thought since I never got my PVC and won’t be voting why even bother? Well, I thought I should finish it anyway.

As of the time of writing the final parts of this post we are merely hours away from election day. One simply cannot overstate how important this election is for this nation which is basically at the cusp of madness.



One wouldn’t know this with the way people with large platforms have refused to use it to push for active participation. By people I mean pastors, I have seen saddening videos of some of the biggest pastors with the biggest platforms sitting on the fence or speaking in ‘parables’. This is very surprising for an election where the favourite has outrightly disregarded Christians.

This post isn’t a campaign post, obvious not sponsored neither is it created to change anyone’s mind at this time, it is just what it is.

Recently I had looked at the map of and I was amazed how large the north is, of course I did geography back in the day and even learnt the capital of every country in the world for fun at some point, so I am not a stranger to maps, national flags, cities or any of these things. But from what I saw if my memory serves me well, the North occupies maybe over 60% of this country in terms of land mass. The North central (Nasarawa state I think) isn't so far from the south-south, this immediately made me understand why no one ever dares to run without a northern running mate.







However, this election has become a 3-horse race and of course all 3 pairs have at least a northerner. This then means the votes in the north will have to be shared between the 3 favorites and the close fourth, this I believe would almost neutralize the enormous effect the north always had on elections. This might then mean for the first time the south might be the decider.



Before going on, I would like to say I do not support of condone tribalism, but for times like this, I believe Igbos after all the shege this country has shown them should all double down and pick tribalism as their only criterium for selection. My rationale shouldn’t be hard to guess. This country will celebrate 63 years of independence this year and these group of people cannot still boast of an Igbo President, this coupled with a cataclysmic 30-month long war that was birth from constant oppression should be enough reason or them to ignore the obvious competence of their candidate and just vote for him blindly. If their first ever serious candidate doesn’t win every single South-eastern, and by extension south-southern state then they have done themselves a great disserve. That is their only fighting chance as the north still have overwhelming numbers.



Concluding, I believe Nigerians have signed a deal in perpetuity with suffering, no leave no transfer, and this reflects in who the favorite in this race is. 



One would think after all we have seen recently (Lekki toll gate massacre, Iwo massacre, crumbling economy, constant fuel scarcity, perpetual ASUU strikes etc.) we would want to leave corrupt retirees alone for a while. But nope!. The idea that the system is corrupt and so we should put a corrupt person back in is honestly some of the most ridiculous things I have ever heard (Fighting fire with fire they say will do what?). This like saying if you had a burning building and two 25liters containers, one filled with water and the other with diesel, you’d rather throw the diesel into the building since the water might not be enough to kill the fire. Mighty stupid right?.


At the end of the day, nobody is the messiah. You might as well vote in Beelzebub.

Comments